How can you help your child at home with letters and letter sounds, here are some tips you can try:
- Teach your child the alphabet using alphabet songs.
- ABC Songs for Children
- Play 'I Spy'
- Encourage your child to write notes, make shopping lists, label drawings.
- Congratulate your child on getting their message across.
- Read picture books with LARGE letters and help your child with hear the sounds the letters make by saying the beginning sound of a word and sliding a finger to the end as you blend the sounds.
- Play typed rhymes, chants, songs, poems and stories and have your child 'read' along.
- Point to a word and using prompts like "What sound do you think I'll hear at the beginning of this word? At the end?